Splunk Enterprise

Splunk User Getting Permission Denied In Linux

OgoSplunk
Path Finder

Hi,

I heard that it's frowned upon to run Splunk on the root so I created a Splunk User. I can't figure out why I can't run Splunk start, stop, and status without getting permission denied. I've changed the ownership to for /opt/splunk to the user "Splunk" that I've created because I was told it was bad to run Splunk as root.  When working in my "Splunk" user account I continuously get this error whenever trying to config enable boot-start splunk.

oot@cluster-master:/opt# ./splunk/bin/splunk enable boot-start -systemd-managed 1 -user splunk

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk"

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/introspection"

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/watchdog"
Systemd unit file installed at /etc/systemd/system/Splunkd.service.
Configured as systemd managed service.
root@cluster-master:/opt# su splunk
splunk@cluster-master:/opt$ ./splunk/bin/splunk status

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk"

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/introspection"

Warning: cannot create "/opt/splunk/var/log/watchdog"
Pid file "/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/splunkd.pid" unreadable.: Permission denied
splunkd.pid file is unreadable.
Pid file "/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/splunkd.pid" unreadable.: Permission denied
splunk@cluster-master:/opt$

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The enable boot-start command must be run as root because it modifies system files. You either can switch to the root user to run the command or use sudo. See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Admin/ConfigureSplunktostartatboottime#Enable_boo...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The enable boot-start command must be run as root because it modifies system files. You either can switch to the root user to run the command or use sudo. See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Admin/ConfigureSplunktostartatboottime#Enable_boo...

---

OgoSplunk
Path Finder

@richgalloway Step 6 wants me to edit a file using nano or any text editor but I don't see the file there /splunk/etc/init.d/splunk could you help me out with this last part? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That file is created in Step 3, but only on systems not running systemd.  However, given the output in the OP, I believe you should be following the steps in the "Enable boot-start on machines that run systemd" section.

---

OgoSplunk
Path Finder

@richgalloway you're the GOAT( GREATEST OF ALL TIME). I'll pass on the Karma now 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...