Splunk Enterprise

Splunk Light: Server Classes

cmschube

This questions was asked before, but still haven't gotten a really good answer out of it. Or maybe I'm just doing this all wrong.

I'm trying to use Splunk Light to monitor the Security Logs of several Windows devices. Whenever I add a new host to monitor, rather than being able to add the host to the Server Class that I have called "Windows Hosts" in the "Data Inputs -> Event Logs Collections" page, I have to create a new Server Class and add all the hosts again to the new class. If I try to click on the existing Server Class to edit it, I get a "Page Not Found" message.

Is this correct? Am I doing something wrong? Is Light only supposed to be used for one device?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The best answer I could find out is the one I posted here:

Deployment server does not work in Splunk Light today. Because Splunk Light and Splunk Enterprise share a code base and the UI is defined by licensing, there are a few defects where features that are only available in Enterprise partially appear in Light. That is why you are seeing that server class link.

0 Karma

cmschube

Hey Chris -

Thanks, that makes sense. So, I guess having to go back and add a new server class every time I add a new host, is that "correct" procedure?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It seems you're into a buggy area of the product here. If your suggestion works for you, try it! And if you are a paying customer, I suggest opening a Support case for this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...