Splunk Enterprise

Splunk LIght Free License Question

Explorer

Hello,

I hate bringing negative things to the forum, but I'm running out of options and just looking for a clear answer and direction. I've been using the Splunk Light Free version for about a year when my license expired. I called into support and was sent over to the sales channel. I'm in the middle of a development project and we are using Splunk LIght as part of the reporting and logging function. I have been indexing less than the 500MB limit imposed by Light Free. On the download page, it states that the demo reverts to a perpetual license.

I was lead down this channel by calling into Splunk and them routing me to the group I was speaking with. In the end, I'd like to get my Free License back and operational. As we bring our product into Production, my indexing volume will increase and I'll be looking to take advantage of the some of the pay features of Light.

I've been in this limbo zone for about a month now and I'm really not sure what the clear answer is. I have no interest in flaming anyone and really just want to use the product under the terms of it's license. I think the product is great, and as I said in my email below, I'm working towards being a paying customer. Below is the last back and forth with Splunk. The whole thread goes back to Aug 2, but it really just culminates with this.

If anyone can help, please reach out and advise.

Reply from Splunk sales rep ..

Hi Chuck,

I'm sorry this has been a frustrating process.  I am unable to assist on this item, I have exhausted all the options I am aware of.  if you have left messages for XXX and YYY, then I think you have done all you can.  

Tags (2)

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Chuck,

I'm a product manager here. Please shoot me a note to brianp@splunk.com and I will see how I can help you out. Please attach any email threads or case numbers you have on this issue. Thanks!

-Brian

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I reached out to Chuck's sales rep to resolve this. He should be contacted soon.

0 Karma

Explorer

Brian,

I wanted to provide a follow on this. First, I want to thank you and the others that have stepped in to try and help. I really do appreciate that.

Now the bad part, I'm still thoroughly frustrated and and a bit lost by all of the confusion this is causing and can't seem to understand why. A couple of points:
1. On the Splunk Light Trial page, it says that the license is good for 30 days and then it reverts to a 'Perpetual' free license with some reduced functionality. My understanding of perpetual is that is goes on forever and obtaining a continuation license should not be a complex process.
2. The sales team graciously gave me a 30 day Splunk Light Trial license to bide some time while things get sorted out. I installed the license and thought I was good, until I realized that I could not run any searches because I had exceeded the license limit too many times. I exceeded the license limits when my license expired and the allowed amount was 0 for 30+ days. In doing some quick google searches, it seems that a reset license from Splunk is needed to correct that.
3. I called into support and explained the situation and was told politely that a reset license could not be sent for a "Free" install. Not sure what that means since I have a 30 day license installed currently. The solution provided to me was to reinstall Splunk and look to restore conf files and indexes. I'm not sure of the effort involved to do so, but I've got a lot on my plate ...

I'm close to throwing in the towel, but keep pushing forward for a few reasons:
1. I love the product and have spent the past year relying on it as part of a development project. My current needs were being satisfied with the 'perpetual free' license of Splunk Light. I had no doubt that I would eventually become a paid license subscriber, but I just didn't need it yet. The product goes way beyond just a logging system and I recognize that I can build into it in so many different directions. Selfishly, I'm better off with it than without it.
2. I think the Splunk team owes the community some clarity on this subject. I'm not alone in trying to understand this. I completely understand that Splunk is a for profit company and invests in the product and needs to charge for value. I am just caught up in the middle of the web pages and documentation saying one thing and the reality I'm experiencing being completely different.

I've said all along that my primary goal is to use the product within the terms of use and licensing. I'm not looking to beat the system, steal licenses or misuse the product in any way. I'm just confused ...

I'll continue to work with the sales team, but I wanted to update this thread to hopefully gently push the Splunk team to clarify the licensing and somehow spread the word within.

Cheers.
Chuck.

0 Karma

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you for the follow up. I'm checking with the sales team to understand why we can't provide this.

0 Karma

Explorer

All,

I wanted to update this thread. Brian was able to work with his team and issue me an extension license for Splunk Lite Free and resolve my other issue.

Brian, thanks again! I appreciate you stepping in and taking action. I was really frustrated and it's nice to have Splunk back up and available to my team.

I do hope that the Splunk Free licensing is clarified going forward for others who may be in the same shoes I am.

Cheers.
Chuck.

0 Karma

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To close the loop here, we are replacing the 1-year term free license that Splunk Light currently falls back to after the trial with a perpetual free license. So, after the trial license expires, Splunk Light will fall back to the free license with limited functionality into perpetuity. That should be included in Splunk Light builds soon.

In the meantime, or even afterward if you experience this issue, please contact your sales rep and have him/her loop me in.

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks @brianp_splunk ! @ccitrano, keep us posted on what happens with this! I'm sure other people have had your same question.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ccitrano,

I'm sure you already found this documentation, but I will post it anyway.
This gives you a good understanding on how the licensing on SplunkLight works and also how you are able to renew your license after it has expired.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkLight/7.1.2/Installation/Aboutlicensing

Unfortunately we can't really help you like the Splunk Support could, as this forum almost exclusively consists of community members that are working with splunk, but not working for splunk.

Splunk Light Term license expiration
If your Splunk Light term license expires, you have the following options.

• Purchase and install a new Splunk Light paid license (perpetual or term).
  • Purchase and install a Splunk Enterprise license to upgrade to Splunk Enterprise. When you upgrade to Splunk Enterprise, your data, searches, alerts, knowledge objects, and settings migrate seamlessly. **If you have add-ons enabled, they remain active and appear in the Apps browser view of Splunk Enterprise.
  • Revert to the Splunk Light Free license. When you revert your instance to Splunk Light Free, your instance is limited to a single account with administrator privileges. Previous settings such as accounts, passwords, and configurations persist, but you cannot modify them in Splunk Light Free. See Logging in after you revert to Splunk Light Free in the Splunk Light Installation Manual. If you upgrade this instance to Splunk Light (or upgrade to Splunk Enterprise), your previous configurations are restored.
0 Karma

Explorer

Thanks for that reply.

I've seen that document and that's what I'm trying to base my request on.

In my case, i was operating under the Splunk Light Free license and it expired after 1 year. I called into support to see how to go about renewing the license. They sent me to sales and that's where things fell apart.

I'm not sure if there is an unwillingness to allow continued usage of Free, but the website and the documentation says that is allowed. My goal is to stay compliant with the license conformance statement and use the product in accordance with the license. It's not a matter of getting a Free version, it's more a matter that the Free version is suiting my needs during my development cycle and it's not time yet to explore the pay version.

If anyone on the Splunk team can give me clear direction on how to request a renewal on an expired Splunk Light Free install I would appreciate it.

Cheers.
Chuck

0 Karma