Splunk Enterprise

Sourcetypes not configured in Linux Server are shown in Splunk

Splunk_Ryan
Explorer

This is confusing me.

On my Linux server the universal forwarder is installed, and the following sourcetypes are specified in inputs.conf. Nothing more is added.

[monitor:///var/log/httpd/access_log]
sourcetype=access_combined
index = apache

[monitor:///var/log/httpd/error_log]
sourcetype=apache:error
index = apache

When I search for this Linux server on Splunk. there are way many sourcetypes coming up. Top 10 values are as follows. It is good to see access_combined and apache:error coming up, but why are the others coming up too? I did not specify them in inputs.conf!

access_combined 69,824 74.23%
ps 18,353 19.511%
bash_history 1,999 2.125%
Unix:UserAccounts 936 0.995%
cpu 870 0.925%
df 580 0.617%
usersWithLoginPrivs 360 0.383%
protocol 290 0.308%
Unix:Update 204 0.217%
apache:error 188 0.2%

Btw, I installed Splunk App for Unix and Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux on my Splunk.  But this shall not attribute to the additional sourcetypes coming up on Splunk, because as far as I know I have to first specify the additional sourcetypes (e.g. [monitor:///xxxx], sourcetyp=cpu) in inputs.conf which I have not done so.

Could anyone advise? much appreciated. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you are installing those apps they could have some default inputs already configured.

Have you vanilla Splunk_TA_nix for splunkbase or have you used your company own version, which could have some defaults? Have you used same package where you are installing this app for all servers?

Basically those configurations under default have come from package and you should never modify those. Those which are under local are usually modified in those individual servers. That can do directly with editor + file or used cli commands.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Splunk_Ryan
Explorer

I just discovered something interesting. There are multiple inputs.conf files in the Linux Servers.

In one Linux server, there are:
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/SplunkUniversalForwarder/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/introspection_generator_addon/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/splunk_httpinput/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf

In the other one Linux server, there are:
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/search/local/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/splunk_httpinput/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/introspection_generator_addon/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/SplunkUniversalForwarder/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/default/inputs.conf

How come the following two files exist in some servers, but not in other servers?
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/inputs.conf

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you are installing those apps they could have some default inputs already configured.

Have you vanilla Splunk_TA_nix for splunkbase or have you used your company own version, which could have some defaults? Have you used same package where you are installing this app for all servers?

Basically those configurations under default have come from package and you should never modify those. Those which are under local are usually modified in those individual servers. That can do directly with editor + file or used cli commands.

0 Karma

Splunk_Ryan
Explorer

Hi 

So I just installed / copied this directory /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/ to those Linux clients and now every client is sending logs to Splunk instance. 

Thanks again.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...