Splunk Enterprise

Setting useACK in outputs.conf in a Distributed Environment (Universal Forwarder + Heavy Forwarder + Indexer)

edoardo_vicendo
Contributor

Hello,

In a distributed environment with Universal Forwarder, Heavy Forwarder and Indexers, like this one:

UF --> HF --> IDX

How do you set useACK=true in outputs.conf ?

Is it needed to be enabled both on Universal Forwarder and Heavy Forwarder?

We currently have it enabled only on the Heavy Forwarder.

Thanks a lot,

Edoardo

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I understand it, the instance with useACK=true will buffer packets until they are acknowledged by the indexer.  If useACK=false then the packet is discarded once it is sent.  (These are Splunk packets, not TCP packets.)  Also, useACK adds a kind of flow control to the data stream.  For better end-to-end control, use useACK=true on the UF and HF.  Note that this will force the instance to use more memory.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I understand it, the instance with useACK=true will buffer packets until they are acknowledged by the indexer.  If useACK=false then the packet is discarded once it is sent.  (These are Splunk packets, not TCP packets.)  Also, useACK adds a kind of flow control to the data stream.  For better end-to-end control, use useACK=true on the UF and HF.  Note that this will force the instance to use more memory.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

edoardo_vicendo
Contributor
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...