Splunk Enterprise

Restricted command for Role Based field filtering (RBFF)- Does it show sensitive data?

Hojeong-Seo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi 

I am some confuse the documentation for Role Based Field Filtering as following. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.1/Security/planfieldfiltering

from the documentation, the restricted command (tstats) return sensitive data that a role with field filters might not be allowed to access and it is very risky that someone with malicious intentions tries to use them to circumvent role-based field filtering. 

it provide the workaround that assign one of two capability to role that have field filter. 

the one of capability is he run_commands_ignoring_field_filter.

here is my question, user_A have a role that include run_commands_ignoring_field_filter capability and configured field filtering and User_A run tstats to search information which include field that required masking, what happen in the result result? 

I wonder if it show sensitive data or making data ?

thank you in advanced. 

These commands can return sensitive data that a role with field filters might not be allowed to access. They might pose a potential security risk for your organization if someone with malicious intentions tries to use them to circumvent role-based field filtering. As a result, the Splunk platform restricts these commands when used by people with roles that are configured with field filtering.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...