Splunk Enterprise

Recommended SPLUNK versions to upgrade

sureshwalmart
Explorer

Hello Splunkers

What is the recommended SPLUNK versions to upgrade for the below enterprise versions

Thanks

Suresh

Labels (1)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

hi @sureshwalmart,

Official Splunk support for versions 7.0.0 and 7.1.2 is stopped now and for 7.3.0 it will end on 22 October 2021.  You should go for Splunk version >= 8.1. The only thing is python3 is mandatory in Splunk 8.1. So you need to plan to upgrade python scripts in your apps if exists.
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-software-support-policy.html#core

But if you still want to upgrade, you can upgrade from 7.0.0 to 7.3.0.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

As @manjunathmeti already said 7.x and also 8.0 will be go out of support on middle October 2021. So those are out of questions for upgrade. My rule of thumb is to avoid too small minor version numbers (like x.0 to x.3). Usually after those versions are quite stable for production use. You should read release notes and look if there is anything which could affect your environment before select version. Of course its heavily depends which kind of environment you have (single node with low load and integrations vs. multisite distributed environments with TB or PB daily ingesting volume). With first one I could even got to 8.2.2. already but with second one I will go with 8.1.5+ 

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...