Splunk Enterprise

Receiving error while using mvexpand

super_saiyan
Communicator

While using the mvexpand command, i am getting the below error.

ERROR - 

command.mvexpand: output will be truncated at 1000 results due to excessive memory usage. Memory threshold of 500 MB as configured in limits.conf /[mvexpand]/max_mem_usage_mb has been reached.

Question 1- How can i resolve the above error ?

Question 2 -  Is there any other alternative command of mvexpand ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

mvexpand functionality can be replicated to some extent using makecontinuous

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Enterprise/Mutlivalue-Field-Problem-Is-there-any-way-to-do-th...

However, you may still run into memory issues.

The memory issue can be postponed by configuring more memory in limits.conf

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can raise the limits of course to delay the onset of the problem a little, as others already mention. But the question is why do you have such a big mvexpand. If you're mvexpanding original events, maybe it's worth reviewing onboarding of this sourcetype. If it's because you did some huge "stats values" or something similar, maybe you should review your search and try to get to the results another way.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

mvexpand functionality can be replicated to some extent using makecontinuous

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Enterprise/Mutlivalue-Field-Problem-Is-there-any-way-to-do-th...

However, you may still run into memory issues.

The memory issue can be postponed by configuring more memory in limits.conf

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@super_saiyan - Generally you should look at the option of changing your query in such a way that you do not require to use mvexpand. (Avoid multi-valued fields where you expect to have more than 1000 values.)

If not possible, then you can look at the option provided by @ITWhisperer 

I hope this helps!!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...