Splunk Enterprise

Perpetual license and Term license in one environment

leefernan
Explorer

Hello Splunk Commnity!

I have a customer that have two different Splunk Licenses: Perpetual and Term License in separated Splunk environments. 

It could be possible to merge two license in one single environment?, the customer year after year is renewing the Splunk Support for both licenses. In this environment there is no special Splunk products as ITSI or ES. 

The main idea is install both licenses in one license master to merge the environments in just one.

Thanks in advance for your response, regards. 

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

There are two parts to this

- Technical side (Technically pooling of license will solve/fix the  issue)

- Support and Legal side

My humble opinion is NEVER loose  out on the perpetual license though the marketing and salesmen from your organisation and everyone would like to  see  it  gone 🙂

My suggestion is

- use  the perpetual to long term/stagnant set of  dataset, clusters which needs no support.  So have a pool with perpetual license and  apply to the indexers which  are part of pool

- Try seeing  if you  need your  DEV/TEST server those licenses which  may not need support at all. 

- If nothing happens, you could ask Splunk Rep to merge it and give term license  for you

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can add the license to the master, create a pool from the license, and restrict access to pools by specific indexers.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.1/Admin/Createalicensepool

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I suppose that there is no need to restrict access with different pools. You just need to update the needed support by new term licenses. Perpetuals are valid until those end date comes (there seems to be that included on license file!)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...