Splunk Enterprise

Need assistance in writing props: Why is search failing to parse timestamp?

Ash1
Communicator

1. I have below logs:
server6z: INFO could not find the logs under this path(apimanager call)
server6z: INFO could not find the logs under this path(apimanager call), unable to find the logs from this server.
server6z: INFO could not find the logs under this path(apimanager call), unable to find the logs from this server.

i have mentioned in my props
should_linemerge=false
line_breaker=([\r\n]+)

but i am seeing error like failed to parse timestamp
defaulting to file modtime.
How to resolve this issue.

2. I am getting the same issue as above for this type of logs as well

Sample logs:
/path/svgt/app/loadscript/file.com: coloumn12: /path/svgt/app/loadscript/file.com: not able to view file
/applicatins/dir/wrd-start/loadscript/filedata.com: line24: /applicatins/dir/wrd start/loadscript/filedata.com: not able to read the files
/path/svgt/app/loadscript/file.com: coloumn12: /path/svgt/app/loadscript/file.com: not able to view file
/applicatins/dir/wrd-start/loadscript/filedata.com: line24: /applicatins/dir/wrd start/loadscript/filedata.com: not able to read the files

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The message "failed to parse timestamp" means Splunk could not find a timestamp in your logs that matches what it expected.  Perhaps, and this appears to the case here, there is no timestamp at all.

To fix the problem, make sure the props.conf settings correctly tell Splunk where to find the timestamp in each event and how it is formatted.  Specifically, include these settings: 

TIME_PREFIX
TIME_FORMAT
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD

For logs that have no timestamp at all, then let Splunk know that with this props.conf setting, which uses the current time as the event time.

DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The message "failed to parse timestamp" means Splunk could not find a timestamp in your logs that matches what it expected.  Perhaps, and this appears to the case here, there is no timestamp at all.

To fix the problem, make sure the props.conf settings correctly tell Splunk where to find the timestamp in each event and how it is formatted.  Specifically, include these settings: 

TIME_PREFIX
TIME_FORMAT
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD

For logs that have no timestamp at all, then let Splunk know that with this props.conf setting, which uses the current time as the event time.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Ash1
Communicator

Thank you, 

worked. 

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...