Splunk Enterprise

Multi Site Index Cluster Deployment Suggestions

akhan18
Observer

Hello,

We are trying to deploy a multi-site cluster for high availability and disaster recovery process.  I looked at the Splunk valid architecture document and decided to move forward with M2/M12 deployment model with 2 indexers on each side instead of 3. I wanted to run my rational through some experts

Current Architecture 

• Search Head 
  • 2 Indexers Configured for Distributed Search (12 CPU, 16GB RAM and 2TB) 
  • 1 Heavy Forwarder that receives logs from a SysLog server 
  • 70GB Daily License Usage (Plan on having 2 replicas and 1 searchable copy) 
  • Version 8.1.1
  • Ubuntu 18.04 latest patched
  • No Deployment Server
  • License Master and Monitoring Console

I had a few questions 

(i) What are the hardware requirements for the Splunk Indexers in a Clustered environment? 
    Note: Currently both Indexers are running on 12 CPU, 16GB RAM and 2TB Storage in VSphere. 
    I bumped that up to what Splunk recommends here along with 250GB Primary and10TB Secondary Disk 

Mid-range indexer specification

• An x86 64-bit chip architecture.
    • 24 physical CPU cores, or 48 vCPU at 2GHz or greater speed per core.
    • 64GB RAM.

(ii) What are the hardware requirements for the Splunk Search Head? I am not planning on deploying a search head cluster and only a few users query Splunk. Is this okay?
      An x86 64-bit chip architecture.
      12 physical CPU cores. 
      32GB RAM.
      250 GB Primary Disk 

(iii) I have Cluster Master that is on the Primary side that will manage the Index Cluster. I made this a separate server with decent specs. What are the recommended specs for a Cluster Master. I just hardened the server and add the Splunk Installer to it. Is there anything else I need to do before I configure the cluster?

(iv) The existing indexers have disks that were partitioned using LVM so I can easily extend the 2TB to 10TB. How should I go about this with Splunk Indexers?  Any gotchas I have to look out for before lvextend -L +8T /dev/mapper ?

(v) I have Universal forwarder and one heavy forwarder. Would I need to enable index discovery on both universal forwarder and the heavy forwarder in outputs.conf?

(vi) I have two indexers on each side now that match the same specs. Can I join the cluster before the indexer discovery change or after? Are there any gotchas I should look out for before joining the cluster? I have backups and replication between both sites. I expect the traffic to be much higher between sites when replication is turned on. 

(vii) We also have a KVStore, do I need to do something special for it when an Index Cluster is deployed?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...