Splunk Enterprise

Missing or malformed messages.conf stanza for INSTALLED_FILES_INTEGRITY:FOUND_INTEGRITY_PROBLEMS__1_splunk.domain.com

dees74
Explorer

I have splunk installed 3 month and use free license.
Version: 7.2.1

Some days ago i received an error
"Missing or malformed messages.conf stanza for INSTALLED_FILES_INTEGRITY:FOUND_INTEGRITY_PROBLEMS__1_splunk.domain.com"

After restart it apears again.
Why I begin receiving error (i doesn't change any configs)?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)

snowman0
Loves-to-Learn

I know this is an old thread but for anyone that is having the same problem, this might help.
I had the same problem after upgrading to v8.2.x but after some tests I found the cause.

Splunk Enterprise 8.2.x has some new integrated apps which are not part of the version I was upgrading from (7.2.x). In particular "Python Upgrade Readiness App" which comes in the version 1.0.0 but has the option to Update to a newer available version.

This is what I found out:

- If I do not update the "Python Upgrade Readiness" from version 1.0.0, I do not get any error message. I can also safely disabled the app and no error message appears after.

- If I update "Python Upgrade Readiness" to the latest version (when this is written, latest version is 3.10), I get this error and even though I disable the App after upgrade. The error message still remains.

The only way I found to get rid of the error message after updating the App was to downgrade back to version 1.0.0.

To downgrade, simply replace the app folder "$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/python_upgrade_readiness_app" with the 1.0.0 version (I got the old version from a fresh installed Splunk) and  then restart Splunk.
Voila, all errors gone!

This was my solution, it does not have to be the same for others but hopefully helps some.

0 Karma

csyvenky
Path Finder

I upgraded my laptop to 8.2.1 today and received this error.

To resolve, I opened C:\Splunk\etc\system\default\messages.conf in VS Code and it became apparent that several (about 10) single quotes were causing the misconfiguration. In places where a quote was missing I added it in places where there was only one, I double it up.

ie.

Error deleting temporary file %s', after copying to sinkhole.
became:
Error deleting temporary file >>'<<%s', after copying to sinkhole.

and

There aren't enough qualifying results (%u) for the specified number of clusters (%u).
became:
There aren>>'<<'t enough qualifying results (%u) for the specified number of clusters (%u).

Restarted Splunk and error appears to be gone.
0 Karma

csyvenky
Path Finder

Sorry, it appears the error has not gone away for me - after some time passes, the same error returns (even with the syntax color quote issues resolved).

0 Karma

cult_hero13
Loves-to-Learn

I was running version 8.1.4 and upgraded to 8.20.  Before the upgrade I had no messages other than that there was a new version available.  After the upgrade I now get the message:

Missing or malformed messages.conf stanza for INSTALLED_FILES_INTEGRITY:FOUND_INTEGRITY_PROBLEMS__889_server.domain.com

The "889" is newer.  It started out as "9".  I compared the referenced messages.conf file to one I had on a  test instance running version 8.1.2, specifically the referenced stanza, and they looked to be identical.  I see this thread has been open for quite a long time and hasn't been answered, and the problem seems to have affected older versions.  I guess I might have to ask some of the Splunk engineers in my professional capacity.

0 Karma

subdriven

I just updated as well and am also getting this message. Would be interested if you find a solution from engineering. 

0 Karma

vhharanpositka
Path Finder

I am Also getting this error in the same situation.
I cant use the append function, because the above error is appearing.

How can I solve this warning.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...