Splunk Enterprise

Limited Splunk Access to Only One Dashboard

itsmevic
Communicator

Hey Splunkers!

Is it possible to give a Splunk user access to ONLY one dashboard in Splunk and nothing else, i.e., no searching, no reports, access to nothing but only that one dashboard?  If so, what's the best method to deploy access like this?  Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

alonsocaio
Contributor

Hey @itsmevic,

I suggest you to create a role for this specific user and creating an app to place this dashboard. I don't think Splunk supports denying access to apps just using roles, so I guess you will also have to remove permissions from this new created role on every app you have deployed in your instance.

You can make some modifications to your dashboard to hide some of Splunk menu bars, such as adding "hideEdit" and "hideSplunkBar" to your form XML:

<form hideChrome="false" hideAppBar="false" hideEdit="true" hideSplunkBar="true">

Also, for preventing user to go outside the app using the "open search" option, you can add this to your panel options:

<option name="link.openSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openPivot.visible">false</option>

I think this would be a good start for segregating access only to one dashboard.

View solution in original post

itsmevic
Communicator

Thanks, Alonso! 

0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

Hey @itsmevic,

I suggest you to create a role for this specific user and creating an app to place this dashboard. I don't think Splunk supports denying access to apps just using roles, so I guess you will also have to remove permissions from this new created role on every app you have deployed in your instance.

You can make some modifications to your dashboard to hide some of Splunk menu bars, such as adding "hideEdit" and "hideSplunkBar" to your form XML:

<form hideChrome="false" hideAppBar="false" hideEdit="true" hideSplunkBar="true">

Also, for preventing user to go outside the app using the "open search" option, you can add this to your panel options:

<option name="link.openSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openPivot.visible">false</option>

I think this would be a good start for segregating access only to one dashboard.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...