Splunk Enterprise

Join 2 events with a unique ID

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi I need some help with the join command. I have 2 events as below -

1st Event -

2020-09-03 12:50:01,811|catalina-exec-173|INFO|LoggingService|RESPONSE status=404 api=[/checkout/details]" error="detail_not_found"

2nd Event -

2020-09-03 12:54:50,915|catalina-exec-137|INFO|OrderService|Order placed successfully

Both events have a common field uniqueID. Now what I want is extract the uniqueID's for a scenario where the 1st event occurred but the 2nd event didn't.  Means number of users got the error and didn't proceed to place the order.

I have the below query using which I was able to join the 2 events but what i want is opposite.

Can someone advice.

index=my_test host="server-1" "OrderService|Order placed successfully"
| join uniqueId max=0 
    [ search index=my_test host="server-1" status=[404] "api=[/checkout/details]" error="detail_not_found"
    | dedup uniqueId]

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One way to approach it is to have your first search be the error events and do a left join with the search for the success events. If you evaluate a field in the success search that doesn't exist in the error search, and use fillnull to set this field to a recognised and different value (e.g. "No Order"), then you can find the events where this field is "No Order"

View solution in original post

shashank_24
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer Thank you for this brilliant suggestion. I tried this and it worked by using fullnull and left join.
@richgalloway Thank you for the query. Stats also worked. I will actually need it when i run it for longer period as for that the sub-search won't work due to limitation.

So Both of you are stars  and saved my day 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sometimes join is not the answer.  Try using stats.

```Search for both successful and error events```
index=my_test host="server-1" ("OrderService|Order placed successfully" OR (status=[404] "api=[/checkout/details]" error="detail_not_found"))
```Pair the events by ID```
| stats values(*) as * by uniqueId
```Return event pairs that were not successful```
| search NOT "Order placed successfully"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One way to approach it is to have your first search be the error events and do a left join with the search for the success events. If you evaluate a field in the success search that doesn't exist in the error search, and use fillnull to set this field to a recognised and different value (e.g. "No Order"), then you can find the events where this field is "No Order"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...