Splunk Enterprise

Is there a way to set up a multi-domain certificate and a wildcard certificate?

super_saiyan
Communicator

Hi all

Is there a way to set up a multi-domain certificate and a wildcard certificate?

if yes then can anyone tell me the step by step procedure to implement this ?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Technically, @gcusello already showed you where to find info about installing certificates. I will only add that you can use with splunk both multi-domain (having multiple Subject Alternative Name (SAN) values) as well as wildcard certs. But in case of securing internal Splunk communication you'd rather want to use single cert per node (avoid temptation of using - for example - common cert for all indexers), especially if you're doing cert-based authentication.

And even though it's technically possible to have several "specific" names together with a wildcard name within a single cert I think I've never seen a CA selling such certs. It's always either a multidomain cert or a wildcard one.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @super_saiyan,

what do you mean with multi domain certificate?

are you speaking of a Splunk self signed certificate or a third party certificate?

are you speaking of server certificates to secure connections between Splunk servers or certificates for web accessing?

anyway, all the available informaton about splunk use of certificates are at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Security/WhatyoucansecurewithSplunk 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

super_saiyan
Communicator

hi @gcusello ,

you're a saviour.  Thanks for your quick response.

and yes i was talking about third party certificate and yes  server certificates to secure connections between Splunk servers.

can you please tell me how to do it and step by step process to implement this.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...