Splunk Enterprise

Is there a version that doesn't have high CPU usage like in 9.0.2?

_pravin
Communicator

Hi Community,

I have upgraded the Splunk cluster to version 9.0.2 and noticed high CPU usage in the cluster search head. This almost causes memory usage to go high as 90%. The same works fine in 8.1.0 version.

Just checking if someone has noticed similar issues when migrating to 9.x version. Was there a version that didn't have issues? What did you do to fix the issue?

Regards,

Pravin

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

jbuckner85
Path Finder

The same thing is happening to us. We have seen that the Splunkd process takes up to 12 GB of RAM on clustered search heads when previously it was using 4-5 GB. 

0 Karma

_pravin
Communicator

Actually, we had the similar issue recently when the server memory shot up. Actually it was some splunkd process in the background that used all the memory. We couldn't figure out what was the exact process that caused the problem.

You could try is stop splunk cluster, kill all the splunkd process, and then restart the splunk binary or directly stop splunk, restart the sever, and start splunk.

0 Karma

ssuluguri
Path Finder

Even I am facing the same issue and CPU is at 100% .

Can anyone help here .

0 Karma

_pravin
Communicator

Hi @ssuluguri ,

Whenever there is an upgrade the CPU usage increases a bit but the major problem came from the data model accelerations. So what I did was reduce the concurrent summarization threads used by data models and increase the summarization period. This helped me reduce the CPU usage for the Splunk install.

You could also give it a try and let me know if that helped you.

Thanks,

Pravin

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...