Splunk Enterprise

Is there a search to figure out which forwarder has which app?

nebel
Communicator

Hi,

I have a lot of forwarders. I want to make sure that the forwarders got the right app.
I did some searches but could not find anything related to my request.

Is there a Splunk search which shows a list with all forwarders and the installed app?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Each forwarder writes to it's splunkd.log under the DeployedApplication component, something like;

07-21-2012 12:01:22.267 +0300 INFO  DeployedApplication - Refreshed app: WinEvtSec for service class: AppsByMachineType from archive: C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\run\AppsByMachineType\WinEvtSec-1306487137.bundle

If you've forwarded the splunkd.log from the forwarder to the indexer, it should be found in the _internal index. Try searching for

index=_internal DeployedApplication | rex "\sapp:\s(?<DepApp>\S+)\s" | stats values(DepApp) by host

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

ziegfried
Influencer

You can find information about which forwarder downloaded a deployment app in Splunkd's access log on the deployment server:

index=_internal sourcetype="splunkd_access" uri_path=/services/streams/deployment | rex field=name ":(?<serverClass>.+?):(?<app>.+)" | table _time clientip serverClass app

nebel
Communicator

thank you as well! it worked also, but there was just one chance to give it a green tick, sorry but thank you!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Each forwarder writes to it's splunkd.log under the DeployedApplication component, something like;

07-21-2012 12:01:22.267 +0300 INFO  DeployedApplication - Refreshed app: WinEvtSec for service class: AppsByMachineType from archive: C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\run\AppsByMachineType\WinEvtSec-1306487137.bundle

If you've forwarded the splunkd.log from the forwarder to the indexer, it should be found in the _internal index. Try searching for

index=_internal DeployedApplication | rex "\sapp:\s(?<DepApp>\S+)\s" | stats values(DepApp) by host

Hope this helps,

Kristian

nebel
Communicator

thank you very much, that worked great for my case! 🙂

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

oops. found a typo. fixed it. /k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...