Splunk Enterprise

Is there a better accelerator command that can help to correlate data?

syazwani
Path Finder

Hello peeps,

Does anyone know a better accelerator command that can help to correlate data? Im trying to correlate proxy server logs and AD logs. 

Please see my base search;

(index=proxy OR index=ad) src_ip!="-"
| transaction src_ip
| eval MB=round(((bytes_in+bytes_out)/1024/1024),2)
| stats sum(MB) as "Bandwidth", values(WorkstationName) as Hostname by src_ip
| sort 10 - Bandwidth
| rename src_ip as "Source IP"

Please help me to sort out this issue. Thank you.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's what groupping in stats is for. So your approach to do

| stats values(whatever) by src_ip

was right.

The only problem is that if you have overlapping fields in different sourcetypes they can produce kinda pointless results after aggregating. So you might want to "split" the field into two different fields so that after aggregation it still makes sense.

For example

(index=A or index=B) 
| eval Asrc=if(index="A", src, null())
| eval Bsrc=if(index="B", src, null())

In some cases you might need to use join command to do a DB-like join between two different result sets but due to performance reasons it's best not to use it if you can avoid it and try to do your "joining" with stats.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

syazwani
Path Finder

Thanks PickleRick for your reply!

Im using transaction command as I need to combine the same field from different index.

For example;

index=proxy   --> src_ip,  src

index=ad --> src_ip, src

I need to correlate this src_ip field from index=proxy with src_ip field from index=ad to get the value of Workstation field.

Is there any command i can use to extract the Workstation value instead of transaction command?

Please advise.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's what groupping in stats is for. So your approach to do

| stats values(whatever) by src_ip

was right.

The only problem is that if you have overlapping fields in different sourcetypes they can produce kinda pointless results after aggregating. So you might want to "split" the field into two different fields so that after aggregation it still makes sense.

For example

(index=A or index=B) 
| eval Asrc=if(index="A", src, null())
| eval Bsrc=if(index="B", src, null())

In some cases you might need to use join command to do a DB-like join between two different result sets but due to performance reasons it's best not to use it if you can avoid it and try to do your "joining" with stats.

0 Karma

syazwani
Path Finder

Got it! Ive removed the transaction command and just leave the stats command. It works. Thank you so much for your explanation. Really appreciate it.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Transaction is meant for something completely different.

It looks like you only need to do the stats here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...