Splunk Enterprise

Is there a Timeline when Splunk Enterprise and Universal Forwarder will ported to the new Apple Chips?

SierraX
Communicator

Hi,
since the ~20th of October 2020 Apple sells and deliver several Mac Machines (Mac Mini, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro) with Apple Silicon Chip M1.
Laptops are typically not a main target for things like Splunk Monitoring. But the Mac Mini could be an interesting device for Small Offices (e.g. as SH or HFw) and AdHoc analyses. 
At the moment Splunk is just downloadable for MacOS on Intel.
Is there a Timeline when Splunk Enterprise and Universal Forwarder will ported to the new Apple Chips?
Kind Regards
Dirk M.

xanthakita
Path Finder

I have since purchased a mac mini with the original M1 and Splunk runs beautifully on it (using Rosetta) there is no noticeable detriment to the operation. I am curious myself if there will ever be an ARM version compiled which would allow Splunk to run bare metal(silicon) on the M1 chip... 

Amusthofa
Explorer

Saw ideas for Splunk Enterprise & Universal Forwarder for M1 at ideas.splunk.com
Unfortunately, for now Splunk Enterprise on M1 is still being considered & Universal Forwarder on M1 still need more votes to even get into considerations.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Haven't found that or even heard rumours about it. But lets hope that they will port it to m1 in some day....
I would like to test it with docker and k8s time by time and currently it needs intel based host.
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
You could run those with rosetta2 at least with M1 chip. I have tested it with several enterprise versions 8.x.x (not yet with UF).
r. Ismo

xanthakita
Path Finder

Amusthofa
Explorer

It works! Really glad we have Rosetta on M1. Now I can have personal Splunk lab env again.

Thanks.

bruzz

Not relevant to the OP's question (which is the reason I came here).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...