Splunk Enterprise

Is it possible to use the same license for two splunk instances without using any license master?

alvarosanz1993
Engager

Hello,

I am working in an environment where I have to create multiple deployment servers. Here two questions came to my mind:

- Is it possible for deployment servers to deploy apps without having any license?

- Can I just add manually the license to each deployment server? or is it only possible to do this via a license master?

Thank you.

Regards.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @alvarosanz1993 

Let me correct my initial answer, its not recomended to use 0MB license for deployment sevrer.

As per splunk recomendation , its better to connect deployment server to license master. 

you can update above configration in $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/system/local/ server.conf all the deployment servers and restart the splunkd of deplotyment server 

[license]

master_uri = https://<LicenemasterIP>:8089

and you can use same config on multiple depolyment servers connect  to license master. 

SanjayReddy_0-1647329200309.png

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote/Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @alvarosanz1993 

deployment server used as "management component" , it won't index any data. but manager other splunk components(ex. config management)

as per best practice , it's recommended  to  connect license master or use license key

You can do it two ways. 

1. connect deployment server to license master for accessing license 
2. use heavy forwarder license(0 MB) license in deployment server, in this case you don't need to connect to license master  

More details on heavy forwarder license @richgalloway  explained in detail in other post please refer to follwing URL    

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Enterprise/What-is-0-MB-License/m-p/518899 

0 Karma

alvarosanz1993
Engager

Hi @SanjayReddy 

First of all, thanks for your answer. It was quite helpful.

And this 0 MB license, can I use the same 0 MB license for multiple Deployment Servers?

Regards.

0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @alvarosanz1993 

Let me correct my initial answer, its not recomended to use 0MB license for deployment sevrer.

As per splunk recomendation , its better to connect deployment server to license master. 

you can update above configration in $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/system/local/ server.conf all the deployment servers and restart the splunkd of deplotyment server 

[license]

master_uri = https://<LicenemasterIP>:8089

and you can use same config on multiple depolyment servers connect  to license master. 

SanjayReddy_0-1647329200309.png

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote/Karma would be appreciated.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...