Splunk Enterprise

How to run splunk forwarder on system startup

anil1432
Explorer

We have new servers in which we installed new Splunk forwarders that are running fine. In case of a system reboot, we would like to also start it up automatically. I noticed that our old servers has this file /etc/rc.d/init.d/splunk which is described in this guide

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.2/Admin/ConfigureSplunktostartatboottime

We don’t know who configured it for our old servers, but may I confirm that I need to follow the steps in the previous link and that I also need to be a root user to run splunk enable boot-start -user <preferred user>?.

Please can you give brief explanation and solutions please 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

New systems tend to use systemd to start processes at boot-time.  If yours does not then you can use your old init.d file; otherwise, run the enable boot-start command to have Splunk build a systemd startup file. 

Yes, you must be root to enable boot-start.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

New systems tend to use systemd to start processes at boot-time.  If yours does not then you can use your old init.d file; otherwise, run the enable boot-start command to have Splunk build a systemd startup file. 

Yes, you must be root to enable boot-start.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

anil1432
Explorer

Thank you very much . I got it .👍😊😊

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...