Splunk Enterprise

How to handle search query when JSON data has host field?

evbtbw92

I'm working on a corporate Splunk instance where we do not have access to rename fields when indexing, or make any similar modifications due to security and compliance requirements.
I'm trying to create a timechart based on the number of events per hour by host. My issue is that the JSON data has a host field in addition to the Splunk built in host field.
IE a sample event looks like:
{"time":"2019-04-05T21:50:09.925Z","severity":"INFO","duration":25.02,"db":10.23,"view":14.79,"status":200,"method":"GET","path":"/api/v4/project/1","params":[],"host":"my_server_1","ip":"1.2.3.4, 4.5.6.7","ua":null,"route":"/api/:version/projects/:id","user_id":12,"username":"smithers","queue_duration":4.35,"magic_calls":0}

My search looks like:
index="my_index" host="prd-srv-00*" source="/var/log/my_program/http_json*" | timechart span=1h count by host

When I do this it combines the hosts the logs came from (built in host field) and hosts listed in the data (host field in the json).

If I try to filter out the hosts from the data, it removes the events from the built in host field as well. IE:
index="my_index" host="prd-srv-00*" AND host !="0.0.0.0" source="/var/log/my_program/http_json*" | timechart span=1h count by host
I have also tried to use ...| where host !="0.0.0.0" | ... but this has the same result.

Any advice on a solution or workaround to handle this at search time? IE, can I rename to column when searching, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...