Splunk Enterprise

How to create a search based on search results using command 'sendemail'?

gl_splunkuser
Path Finder

Hello, I am using Splunk enterprise 7.3.5.

I would like to send an email, using the command sendemail, but I would like to create it based on a search result, so I am trying:

eventtype = myeventype | table message_subject, sender_address |sendemail sendresults=true inline=true from=$sender_address$ subject=$message_subject$ to=myemail

Where

message_subject and sender_address, are fields of the search. 

But when I received the email, looks like- (see the attached image)

Basically, the parameters are not working, I received the email without any of those parameters set.

email_bySplunk.PNG

How can I fix that?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

gl_splunkuser
Path Finder

Sendresults as I read don't have the feature to set parameters in the value - sender: The sender (from) address of the emails - requires quotes. Defaults to Splunk SMTP sender setting. The same sender is used for all emails sent and not customizable on a per-email basis. - 

And I need to set that value as a parameter.

Thanks for your help. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Quoting the details page of sendresults app from SplunkBase:

"The Search Command version of Sendresults supports the following syntax and optional arguments:

sendresults [sender=string] [subject=string] [body=string] [footer=string] [maxrcpts=int] [msgstyle=string] [format_columns=string] [bcc=string] [showresults=boolean] [showemail=boolean] [showsubj=boolean] [showbody=boolean] [showfooter=boolean]

sender: The sender (from) address of the emails - requires quotes. Defaults to Splunk SMTP sender setting. The same sender is used for all emails sent and not customizable on a per-email basis."

gl_splunkuser
Path Finder

I used the app sendresults, works pretty well, but I modify the sendresults.py to have the capability to use the sender as a parameter.

Code:

sender = event['sender']

And sent it as a parameter of sendemail function. 

Thanks for the suggestion @gjanders 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...