Splunk Enterprise

How to combine apps?

shocko
Contributor

I have several apps I have built in Splunk Enterprise 8.2.5. Each one is in a separate folder under /etc/apps on my search head and each has numerous lookups/macros etc. configured. The problem I have is I wish to combine them all into a single app as they are all used by the same people. The problem is I source control them in Git so I can easily make a change, update Gut and re-deploy the app to the search head. This amounts to it clearing out the app/<app> folder and pulling down the latest version from Git. This works great.

Now if I move everything to a single app how can I keep a folder for each 'sub app' for I can keep my Git model? Essentially I want this new app to just have a set of Navigations/Dashboards 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Tom_Lundie
Contributor

There is no concept of  "sub-apps" in Splunk. An app is simply a collection of configurations and supplementary files. There is no way to distinguish between your sort of "sub-configurations". There is a really nice diagram to illustrate the anatomy of a Splunk App here.

If I understand your question correctly, I suggest keeping your current model and not merging your apps together. What exactly are you looking to achieve by merging the apps?

0 Karma

shocko
Contributor

I think I have explained it poorly.  I guess when I think about it what I wish to achieve is a s follows:

Problem: I have multiple search apps that have various views, navigations, macros etc. I source control the apps in Git and when I wish to create a new version of the app I do so by updating Git and deploying the folder/files from that Git repository to my search head. This works well. Each app shows in the UI as a separate entity under the Apps dropdown 

I have been re-evaluating these apps as most of them are used by the same team. They have asked me if I could combine them into one app (all dashboards, views and navigation etc.)  so they only have to navigate one app the in the Apps dropdown. I wish though to maintain my deployment model within GIT so combining them all into one single app/folder is a challenge in this regard.

So, now that I think of it is the following possible?

1. Keep all apps separate so I keep my deployment model
  2. Remove the navigation items from these apps
  3. Create a new app that only has the navigation/views from the other apps?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...