Splunk Enterprise

How do I import botsv1 data to Splunk so I can start searching it?

FCTaylor
Explorer

I am trying to setup a test environment so I can practice the new SPL that I am learning. I am trying to work with botsv1. I have downloaded and installed Splunk Enterprise along with the Splunk App for Stream,  TA-Suricata, and the botsv1_data_set.tgz.

At this point I should be able to run an "index=botsv1" which does run successfully, but it has zero events. That makes me think I have the app installed but not the data. When I click on the link in GetHub to download the botsv1.json.gz file it opens a new Chrome browser tab rather than downloading the file. The same with all the individual Json files.

I know I am just doing it wrong (newbee), but how do I pull the data into Splunk so I can start searching it? 

0 Karma
1 Solution

FCTaylor
Explorer

Not only am I new to Splunk, but I am a bit of novice at Linux. Turns out I created my Linux environment using LVM, which seem to have only used 100Gb of the 300Gb disk space I allocated. While attempting to install the Botsv1_Data_Set using the web interface I never saw the notices that I was out of disk space so the install would never compete.

When I ran the install manually using the terminal I finally saw an error message indicating the disk was out of space. Once I resolved my LVM disk space issues the app installed correctly and I was able to run the "index=botsv1 earliest=0" search and get events displayed.

Thank you Stephanie for responding to my posts. I hope this helps some other newbee to Splunk out there.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FCTaylor
Explorer

Not only am I new to Splunk, but I am a bit of novice at Linux. Turns out I created my Linux environment using LVM, which seem to have only used 100Gb of the 300Gb disk space I allocated. While attempting to install the Botsv1_Data_Set using the web interface I never saw the notices that I was out of disk space so the install would never compete.

When I ran the install manually using the terminal I finally saw an error message indicating the disk was out of space. Once I resolved my LVM disk space issues the app installed correctly and I was able to run the "index=botsv1 earliest=0" search and get events displayed.

Thank you Stephanie for responding to my posts. I hope this helps some other newbee to Splunk out there.

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

@FCTaylor 

If you're certain you did the installation correctly, then it sounds like your timerange of your search isn't including your data.

Try the search 

index=botsv1 earliest=0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...