Splunk Enterprise

How do I import botsv1 data to Splunk so I can start searching it?

FCTaylor
Explorer

I am trying to setup a test environment so I can practice the new SPL that I am learning. I am trying to work with botsv1. I have downloaded and installed Splunk Enterprise along with the Splunk App for Stream,  TA-Suricata, and the botsv1_data_set.tgz.

At this point I should be able to run an "index=botsv1" which does run successfully, but it has zero events. That makes me think I have the app installed but not the data. When I click on the link in GetHub to download the botsv1.json.gz file it opens a new Chrome browser tab rather than downloading the file. The same with all the individual Json files.

I know I am just doing it wrong (newbee), but how do I pull the data into Splunk so I can start searching it? 

0 Karma
1 Solution

FCTaylor
Explorer

Not only am I new to Splunk, but I am a bit of novice at Linux. Turns out I created my Linux environment using LVM, which seem to have only used 100Gb of the 300Gb disk space I allocated. While attempting to install the Botsv1_Data_Set using the web interface I never saw the notices that I was out of disk space so the install would never compete.

When I ran the install manually using the terminal I finally saw an error message indicating the disk was out of space. Once I resolved my LVM disk space issues the app installed correctly and I was able to run the "index=botsv1 earliest=0" search and get events displayed.

Thank you Stephanie for responding to my posts. I hope this helps some other newbee to Splunk out there.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FCTaylor
Explorer

Not only am I new to Splunk, but I am a bit of novice at Linux. Turns out I created my Linux environment using LVM, which seem to have only used 100Gb of the 300Gb disk space I allocated. While attempting to install the Botsv1_Data_Set using the web interface I never saw the notices that I was out of disk space so the install would never compete.

When I ran the install manually using the terminal I finally saw an error message indicating the disk was out of space. Once I resolved my LVM disk space issues the app installed correctly and I was able to run the "index=botsv1 earliest=0" search and get events displayed.

Thank you Stephanie for responding to my posts. I hope this helps some other newbee to Splunk out there.

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

@FCTaylor 

If you're certain you did the installation correctly, then it sounds like your timerange of your search isn't including your data.

Try the search 

index=botsv1 earliest=0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...