Splunk Enterprise

How do I Disable/Remove Run option from Splunk Reports/Alerts?

krt18

Hi Team,

Our clients are accidentally clicking the Run option  of saved searches and I can see duplicate events in summary index. I want to disable/remove the Run option from splunk reports/alerts for user specific. How can I achieve this? Please suggest

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather than disabling the run option, you could try making your searches idempotent.

Depending on what you are collecting in your summary index, you may be able to construct your report so that it removes any events which are already in the summary index, and just adds the delta. (This is how I have resolved this issue, because trying to delete duplicate entries from the summary index is a non-trivial task.)

0 Karma

krt18

Thanks for the reply

May I know how can I achieve this in query. could you help me with SPL

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I said, it depends on what you are putting in your summary index and how you would detect and cancel out duplicates.

In my case, my summary index is a collection of counts over 5 minute periods across a number of dimensions.

Let's say the report covers a 1 hour period counting events by host and service in 5 minute buckets

index=x earliest=-1h@h latest=@h
| bin span=5m _time
| stats count by _time host service
| summaryindex spool=t uselb=t addtime=t index="summary" name="services"

These events can be retrieved from the summary index like so

index=summary search_name=services earliest=-1h@h latest=@h

However, some of the fields in the original report have been renamed and repurposed, e.g. host from the original report is now orig_host and host holds the host name of the search head which put the entries in the summary index.

So, to find duplicates and remove, the renames have to be corrected (so the "comparison" will work) and the aggregations have to be negated (so they can be subtracted from the values returned by the rerunning search). Note that I am only keeping counts that are greater than zero, which fits my usecase, but you might want counts greater than or equal to zero.

index=x earliest=-1h@h latest=@h
| bin span=5m _time
| stats count by _time host service
| append 
    [ search index=summary search_name=services earliest=-1h@h latest=@h
    | eval host=orig_host 
    | eval sourcetype=orig_sourcetype 
    | eval index=orig_index 
    | eval count = -count
    | table _time, index, sourcetype, host, service, count] 
| stats sum(count) as count by _time, index, sourcetype, host, service 
| where count > 0 
| summaryindex spool=t uselb=t addtime=t index="summary" name="services"

Caveats:

• Subsearches are usually truncated at 50,000 events, so depending on how many entries you are trying to dedup, you may need to do multiple appends over different time periods.
  • Aggregations such as averages may return different results due to floating point processors being slightly different between two runs
  • You don't need to specify the summary index command if your search is marked as a summary index search, this is added automatically as can be seen if you view the results of the search.
  • As always, answers given are just suggestions, it is your responsibility to ensure that your implementation works for your usecase.

Hopefully, this will give you some clues as to how you might achieve this for your usecase.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...