Splunk Enterprise

Hostname Override - Config on Intermediate, Targetting Selected UFs

morethanyell
Builder

Our two heavy-forwarders serve as intermediate for our hundreds of universal forwarders. I'm working on overriding/fixing hostnames to 6 of them. Here's the issue:

Six of the UFs have hostnames with "-NEW" at the end. We want to remove that "-NEW" at parsing/indexing phase (not SH phase). Instead of working with the sysadmins of those 6 servers over a Zoom web conference to fix the hostname at the UF's system-local end, we decided to push a deployment-app to the 2 intermediate heavy-forwarders. The app contains these configs:

# transforms.conf
# Of course, I'm using Dragon Ball Z characters as server names so that I don't get fired 

[hostname_overrider]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = host::^(GOKU|VEGITA|GOHAN|GOTEN|TRUNKS|BULMA)(?:\-NEW)$
FORMAT = host::$1

# props.conf

[default]
TRANSFORMS-hostname_overrider = hostname_overrider

My thinking is that the transforms and props configs will apply to all UFs but will only catch the 6 servers because of the specific REGEX pattern and override the hostname.

This method is not working. Any thoughts on why and which is the better approach to take?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

Sorry it works now. I just remove the ^ from the regex. LOL

Tags (1)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a better way  of doing this from UF itself if your UF is managed by deployment server.

you need to deploy an App which will override host in inputs.conf of deployment client.

you can avoid all the events coming from those UF going through the transform you created.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

I agree that it is a better solution. However, I thought of using this approach to be more future-proof. Sending deployment-app containing inputs.conf with the proper hostname entails 6 deployment apps. What if the problem happens to 350 UFs? I will have to create 350 deployment-apps each containing inputs.conf with the proper hostname.

Or I may be wrong and there's a better way to do it. 🙂 

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are right. You will end up to have apps as many wrong hostnames you have.

I have given you solution based on your existing problem.

but I recommend to correct issue at the source if possible. 

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...