Splunk Enterprise

High License Usage on Indexer/Search Head

robertjollsdrs
Explorer

I have a Splunk Enterprise instance with a 1GB license set up to aggregate logs in a small Windows AD environment (Server 2016 DC, CentOS file server, and < 10 Win10 workstations). I currently have the DC, file server, and 3 workstations deployed. I keep getting license usage warnings. Upon investigation, the CentOS server where the Splunk server is installed is by far the largest license user (on average 200% usage). Furthermore, my linux_audit sourcetype is the main source of the usage. That sourcetype only monitors /var/log/audit/audit.log. On disk, /var/log/audit/audit.log is only 74MB, so I have no idea why I am using 2GB+ of license every single day!

Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

robertjollsdrs
Explorer

Solved! I found this other post:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Alerting/Why-am-I-receiving-too-many-Splunk-logs-on-audit-log/m-p/42...

Turns out that Splunk was doing its job properly, but the server hosting my Splunk indexer had audit settings that were logging every file action Splunk was doing. I disabled auditing inside the defaultdb, _metrics, and _introspection directories and the indexing volume dropped off. Everything works great now!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

robertjollsdrs
Explorer

Solved! I found this other post:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Alerting/Why-am-I-receiving-too-many-Splunk-logs-on-audit-log/m-p/42...

Turns out that Splunk was doing its job properly, but the server hosting my Splunk indexer had audit settings that were logging every file action Splunk was doing. I disabled auditing inside the defaultdb, _metrics, and _introspection directories and the indexing volume dropped off. Everything works great now!

0 Karma

robertjollsdrs
Explorer

I checked that out and it seems that the log file is just that big - I also checked the actual log file sizes and realized that with file rotation, the server is actually generating that much log data. I need to dive in and see what is going on.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

With log rotation you'll  want to ensure that your aren't indexing the same log file more than once.
Splunk will see your_log_file.log and your_log_file.log.gz (or your_log_file.log.1) as two different files and ingest them both. 

You can avoid this by blacklisting everything and then whitelist .log files, or blacklist .gz files, etc.
To check where your events are coming from you can run something like:

|tstats count where index=your_index_name_here by source

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @robertjollsdrs 

Before deep dive checking the Splunk default provided report is where you can find first hand details. - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.1/Admin/AboutSplunksLicenseUsageReportView

Splunk internal logs doesn't count under License , Have you installed any add-ons specific to CentOS?

You can issue following command  under $SPLUNK_HOME/bin and find out what files are being monitored.

Any file outside the location $SPLUNK_HOME could be adding to your quota, checkout how big they are.

./splunk list monitor

--

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...