Splunk Enterprise

HTTP event collector: Channel identifiers, what do they identify

mneergaa
Engager

Quote from event collector docs:

Channels are designed so that you assign a unique channel to each client that sends data to HEC. Each channel has a channel identifier (ID), which must be a GUID but can be randomly generated. You assign channel IDs simply by including them in requests as shown in the examples above. When the Splunk server sees a new channel identifier, it creates a new channel.

What does this mean, exactly? If I have four different pieces of software, e.g. a Linux client program and a Windows client program, each of which log to Splunk, how many channel identifiers should I generate? The word “client” is quite ambiguous here...

• One per client software, Linux and Windows?
  • One per released version of the softwares?
  • One per actual client running the software?

Does the channel parameter actually impact indexing or queries in any way? I don't understand why it's required at all.

Durgapk
Explorer

Can we use one channel identifier for multiple clients through Splunk HEC to enable indexer acknowledgement

0 Karma

shandr
Path Finder
0 Karma

Durgapk
Explorer

Can we use one channel identifier for multiple clients through Splunk HEC to enable indexer acknowledgement

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sni_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

According to what I understand, it means the third meaning you mentioned, "one per actual client running the software". I think this is only needed if you use the indexer acknowledge, and you can read more details from here:
http://dev.splunk.com/view/event-collector/SP-CAAAE8X#aboutchannels

0 Karma

Durgapk
Explorer

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...