Splunk Enterprise

HTTP event collector: Channel identifiers, what do they identify

mneergaa
Engager

Quote from event collector docs:

Channels are designed so that you assign a unique channel to each client that sends data to HEC. Each channel has a channel identifier (ID), which must be a GUID but can be randomly generated. You assign channel IDs simply by including them in requests as shown in the examples above. When the Splunk server sees a new channel identifier, it creates a new channel.

What does this mean, exactly? If I have four different pieces of software, e.g. a Linux client program and a Windows client program, each of which log to Splunk, how many channel identifiers should I generate? The word “client” is quite ambiguous here...

• One per client software, Linux and Windows?
  • One per released version of the softwares?
  • One per actual client running the software?

Does the channel parameter actually impact indexing or queries in any way? I don't understand why it's required at all.

Durgapk
Explorer

Can we use one channel identifier for multiple clients through Splunk HEC to enable indexer acknowledgement

0 Karma

shandr
Path Finder
0 Karma

Durgapk
Explorer

Can we use one channel identifier for multiple clients through Splunk HEC to enable indexer acknowledgement

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sni_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

According to what I understand, it means the third meaning you mentioned, "one per actual client running the software". I think this is only needed if you use the indexer acknowledge, and you can read more details from here:
http://dev.splunk.com/view/event-collector/SP-CAAAE8X#aboutchannels

0 Karma

Durgapk
Explorer

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...