Splunk Enterprise

From Splunk enterprise free to Splunk light paid?

rnauman
Explorer

It says on the Splunk light page not to install Splunk Light on an existing enterprise server. I'm hesitant to install it on my Splunk free server as they are essentially the same except for the license. Has anyone taken this path and can provide more info?

Is the license the only thing changed? Will I have to reconfigure my settings/apps?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

I haven't used Splunk Light myself, but the key difference is about "Clustering" , "Data Models" and "User Roles/Access". If your don't have apps that affects above, try downloading "Splunk Light" and copy all stuffs under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps and it should work fine.

0 Karma

juvetm
Communicator

hi manuman
for more infos on this path i will like you to check it the documentation on the topic About migrating Splunk Light in the documentation
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkLight/latest/Installation/Aboutlicensing
i know we can not migrate from splunk enterprise free to splunk light but we can migrate from splunk light to splunk enterpise
yes the liense is the only thing change because in Splunk Light licenses control the indexing volume and feature set of the Splunk Light product not for splunk free server
you need to reconfigure but in your app

0 Karma

rlorenzon
Explorer

I recently purchased a splunk light license after running the free enterprise and before I saw this post saying you can't do that. I applied it following the instructions in the email. Now when I try to log in, I get: This webpage has a redirect loop ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

I tried clearing cookies and cache but doesn't seem to work. Anyone else try this path?

0 Karma

rlorenzon
Explorer

Quick follow up...I was able to go in the command line and remove the license manually from the enterprise free. Everything works fine again and I didn't miss any logs

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...