Splunk Enterprise

Forward Splunk audit log to external syslog server from Heavy forwarder

lukasmecir
Path Finder

Hi,

I would like to ask about his problem:

I have HF, from which I need forward its audit log ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/audit.log) to external syslog server. I made this config:

inputs.conf
[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/audit.log]
sourcetype = send_to_syslog

props.conf
[send_to_syslog]
TRANSFORMS-test_internal_logs_syslog = test_internal_logs_syslog

transforms.conf
[test_internal_logs_syslog]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _SYSLOG_ROUTING
FORMAT = test_internal_logs_syslog

outputs.conf

[syslog]
defaultGroup = test_internal_logs_syslog

[syslog:test_internal_logs_syslog]
disabled = false
server = tpsmscs02:2601
type = tcp
priority = NO_PRI
maxEventSize = 16384

Problem is, that not only audit log is forwarded, but all incoming logs as well, which is not desired. So I removed "defaultGroup = test_internal_logs_syslog" from outputs.conf - and then neither audit log or anything else is forwarded, simply nothing.

AFAIK my config without defaultGroup = test_internal_logs_syslog should work... Could someone check it and tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Lukas

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Karma

ClausBom
Explorer

Hi Lukas,

Did you get any closer to a solution for this? we seem to be facing the same problem 😖

Cheers

Claus

0 Karma

lukasmecir
Path Finder

Hi Claus,

we find out that Splunk handles audit log by some special way and there is no easy and reliable way how to send this log out of Splunk to some external collector. So final solution is: audit log is collected by rsyslog, installed on Splunk instance, and rsyslog then send this log to external collector (LogStash in this case). Hope it helps.

Regards

Lukas

ClausBom
Explorer

Hi Lukas,

Thanks, that just verifies the result I came to myself. I have a support ticket running on the issue, hope that it will shed some light on it for the future 🤞

Regards

Claus

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...