Splunk Enterprise

Do I need to go through V7.x -> V8.0 -> V8.2, or  is it possible to go through V7.x -> V8.1 -> V8.2 instead of V8.0?

super_saiyan
Communicator
i am planning to upgrade splunk enterprise from V7.x to V8.2, do i need to go through V7.x -> V8.0 -> V8.2 ?  or  is it possible to go through V7.x -> V8.1 -> V8.2 instead of V8.0?

if anything goes wrong i need to revert back,  is it necessary to go through V8.2 -> V8.0 -> V7.x? Or is it possible to switch back directly to V8.2 -> V7.x without going through V8.0?

Splunk documentation will be highly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The upgrade path lists both 8.0 and 8.1 as possible interim releases on your way to 8.2

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Installation/HowtoupgradeSplunk#Upgrade_paths_to_...

Remeber that with 8.1 python3 is the global default and for some uses you can switch back to python2.7 but not for all. So in general - you _should_ upgrade your apps to python3 ready if upgrading to 8.0 but you _must_ do that if upgrading to 8.1.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the Release Notes for each version between 7.x (why the secret version #?) and 8.2.  Depending on how low x is interim upgrades may be required.

Reverting to previous Splunk versions is not supported.  Make a backup of $SPLUNK_HOME before each upgrade step in case you need to revert, but that may not protect against all changes made during the upgrade.  See $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/migration.log for the changes made during the upgrade.

Splunk docs are at docs.splunk.com.  Release Notes are at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/ReleaseNotes/MeetSplunk

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...