Splunk Enterprise

Do I need to go through V7.x -> V8.0 -> V8.2, or  is it possible to go through V7.x -> V8.1 -> V8.2 instead of V8.0?

super_saiyan
Communicator
i am planning to upgrade splunk enterprise from V7.x to V8.2, do i need to go through V7.x -> V8.0 -> V8.2 ?  or  is it possible to go through V7.x -> V8.1 -> V8.2 instead of V8.0?

if anything goes wrong i need to revert back,  is it necessary to go through V8.2 -> V8.0 -> V7.x? Or is it possible to switch back directly to V8.2 -> V7.x without going through V8.0?

Splunk documentation will be highly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The upgrade path lists both 8.0 and 8.1 as possible interim releases on your way to 8.2

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Installation/HowtoupgradeSplunk#Upgrade_paths_to_...

Remeber that with 8.1 python3 is the global default and for some uses you can switch back to python2.7 but not for all. So in general - you _should_ upgrade your apps to python3 ready if upgrading to 8.0 but you _must_ do that if upgrading to 8.1.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the Release Notes for each version between 7.x (why the secret version #?) and 8.2.  Depending on how low x is interim upgrades may be required.

Reverting to previous Splunk versions is not supported.  Make a backup of $SPLUNK_HOME before each upgrade step in case you need to revert, but that may not protect against all changes made during the upgrade.  See $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/migration.log for the changes made during the upgrade.

Splunk docs are at docs.splunk.com.  Release Notes are at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/ReleaseNotes/MeetSplunk

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...