Splunk Enterprise

Daily indexing volume exceeded

KeithSearle
Engager

Hi

I am currently using the free license as we are investigating the product for possible furture use in our system. One thing I have noticed is I am getting a Daily Indexing volume limit exceeded warning. Now I have only been running this for 1 day, so far and I have a count of about 8.5 million events which equates when I look at the indexes to about 220 MB, if this is the case why am I getting this warning?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

When you say you're looking at the indexes, where are you looking? If you're checking how much space they're using on disk, that won't show how much data Splunk has indexed since all data is compressed before being stored in the indexes. The license counts against the amount of (uncompressed) data coming in.

You can see more information about data volumes being indexed and more in the dashboards that are available in the "Status » Index activity" menu in the search app. There are also apps that provide more comprehensive license usage statistics, for instance this one: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/22382/splunk-license-usage

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

When you say you're looking at the indexes, where are you looking? If you're checking how much space they're using on disk, that won't show how much data Splunk has indexed since all data is compressed before being stored in the indexes. The license counts against the amount of (uncompressed) data coming in.

You can see more information about data volumes being indexed and more in the dashboards that are available in the "Status » Index activity" menu in the search app. There are also apps that provide more comprehensive license usage statistics, for instance this one: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/22382/splunk-license-usage

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

How exactly are you obtaining the 220MB figure ? Is there perhaps other data that was indexed in the previous Calendar day that you are not aware of that may have busted the limit ?

BTW, the license window with respect to warnings is measured on the previous Calendar day, not a 24 hour sliding window.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

That size is referring to the actual index size after compressing the data, not how much uncompressed data Splunk has indexed. See my answer.

0 Karma

KeithSearle
Engager

If you look at the index under indexes it gives you the total number of indexes so far, the 220MB is the total I have ad since I started the service yesterday, todays total is only about 68MB of the total shown above

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...