Splunk Enterprise

Can someone explain the prestats option within tstats?

lennys26
Communicator

Can someone explain the prestats option within tstats?

I have reread the docs a bunch of times but just don't find a clear explanation of what it does other than it is "designed to be consumed by commands that generate aggregate calculations".

Below I have 2 very basic queries which are returning vastly different results.

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysource" DRA=B*
| rex field=DRA "^(?<pfx>\D\S{1}).*" 
| timechart count by pfx useother=f limit=0 usenull=f

AND

| tstats prestats=t count where index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" DRA=B* by DRA, _time 

I get it -- I must use prestats for the search using tstats but, then, what are the values that it IS returning without prestats? What is prestats doing? 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If two different searches produce the same results, then those results are likely to be correct.

I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of prestats, but understand it includes a few internal fields that timechart uses to produces its results.  With prestats=f, the timechart command is aggregating an aggregration, which isn't accurate - the same way you can't average averages.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How different are the two results?  Which one is correct?

---
0 Karma

lennys26
Communicator

@richgalloway - I just double checked my initial post and it looks like I pasted the wrong query, sorry.

The index search and the tstats search show the same results., while the tstats prestats=t search shows something different.

So the following two searches return the same results:

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysource" DRA=B*
| tstats prestats=t count where index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" DRA=B* by DRA, _time 

The following search (prestats=f) returns something vastly different:

| tstats count where index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" DRA=B* by DRA, _time 

I suspect that the index and prestats=t results are correct, however I need to confirm.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If two different searches produce the same results, then those results are likely to be correct.

I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of prestats, but understand it includes a few internal fields that timechart uses to produces its results.  With prestats=f, the timechart command is aggregating an aggregration, which isn't accurate - the same way you can't average averages.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...