Splunk Enterprise

Can I use Open Telemtery metric Data as a seed for Eventgen metric Data?

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

I am working on a project where we are taking in Open Telemetry Data Metric.

I am looking for a way to re-import Metric Data for testing and i have been looking at eventgen.

I took some metric data that I have and using mpreview i exported it to a file (Below - sample.metric4).

I followed this great video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNk6u04TrtU

_raw,_time
"{""cmd"":""python3"",""component.name"":""rtpm-probe"",""metric_type"":""Gauge"",""module.names"":""MONITORING"",""mx.env"":""dell967srv.scz.murex.com:15023"",""parent.name"":""AGENT.dell1013srv.scz.murex.com"",""pid"":""789937"",""replica.name"":""rtpm-probe-ORCH2"",""server.mode"":""N/A"",""service.name"":""monitoring"",""service.type"":""agent-based"",""telemetry.sdk.language"":""python"",""telemetry.sdk.name"":""opentelemetry"",""telemetry.sdk.version"":""1.12.0rc2"",""metric_name:mx.process.errors.status"":4}",2023-03-30T14:21:24.000+0200

Then using evengen i was able to import this data into an event index to test it worked - it did.

I have been trying to  get it to work to sed it to a metric index, but no luck. I think i am close, but i just cant crack it.

This is the eventgen.conf file i have been using.

To note, i have tried multiple sourcetypes in relation to metrics, but i dont seem to be picking the correct one. Or the mpreview format is not ok!

[sample.metric4]
mode=sample
interval = 1m
earliest = -2m
latest = now
count=-1

outputMode = metric_httpevent

index = bcg_eventgen_metrics
host = bcg_eventgen
source = bcgames
sourcetype=otel

This is the error I am getting

The metric event is not properly structured, source=bcgames, sourcetype=metrics_csv, host=bcg_eventgen, index=bcg_eventgen_metrics. Metric event data without a metric name and properly formated numerical values are invalid and cannot be indexed. Ensure the input metric data is not malformed, have one or more keys of the form "metric_name:<metric>" (e.g..."metric_name:cpu.idle") with corresponding floating point values.
3/30/2023, 5:20:02 PM

When I change the eventgen.conf to send to an event index i can see the data. I just cant figure out how to get it to go to metric data. Perhaps by outputmode is not correct.

robertlynch2020_0-1680190700869.png

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi,

How is your otel source type defined?

Using your sample data with metric_name:mx.process.errors.status changed to mx.process.errors.status, I created a source type named otel based on the log2metrics_json source type following the process documented here: <https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Metrics/L2MSplunkWeb>.

For testing, I set DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT.

The user interface defaults to _ALLNUMS_ for measures, which includes the mx.process.errors.status and pid fields. I changed this value to mx.process.errors.status. The include and exclude lists were left empty to use all remaining fields as dimensions.

Adding the data to a metrics index worked as expected.

The final configuration is below. See <https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Admin/Transformsconf#Metrics> for more information on customizing metric transforms.

# props.conf

[otel]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
METRIC-SCHEMA-TRANSFORMS = metric-schema:log2metrics_default_json
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Log to Metrics
description = JSON-formatted data. Log-to-metrics processing converts the numeric values in json keys into metric data points.
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true
#TZ = <time zone>

# transforms.conf

[metric-schema:log2metrics_default_json]
METRIC-SCHEMA-MEASURES = mx.process.errors.status

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...