Splunk Enterprise

Authentication Issue

kchongMITRE
Observer

All,

I am having some authentication issue.  If I run Splunk command in the Command Prompt, I was able to logon as admin.  However, when I tried to logon as admin through the web UI, it failed to authenticate.  Also, I am not able to logon using my AD account neither.   I tried resetting admin password and new password worked in Command Prompt, but not Web UI.

When I looked at the splunkd.log file, I noticed that it has always tried to forward the username (even admin) to LDAP server and then failed saying invalid username.  I haven't changed LDAP settings or AD group name or reset the AD account used to bind LDAP (the account is not locked).  

Any idea how to fix this issue?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried to force the use of Splunk's local authentication? You can do that using the "?loginType=splunk" after the "/login". Example: https://SPLUNK:8000/en-US/account/login?loginType=splunk

Maybe using this endpoint you will be able to login with your admin user.

kchongMITRE
Observer

I tried to force using local admin but it will just clear the username and password fields and nothing happened.  If I enter the wrong password, then it said "invalid password".  Any other clues?  Could changing the NTFS permission on the Splunk caused this issue?

0 Karma

kchongMITRE
Observer

Sorry, I meant Splunk folder.  There is a STIG setting that locks down the permission for Splunk folder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...