Splunk Enterprise

Any advice on how to resolve multiple CSV header issues?

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

We are getting multiple errors like this

Corrupt csv header in CSV file , 2 columns with the same name

However we have so many CSV files that finding them will be all but impossible.

Can someone provide advice on how to find them? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming that your OS is unix/linux, assuming that your CSV files use standard filenaming conventions (i.e. *.csv), assuming that your CSV files are standard with a header on the first line, assuming that the source files still exist, you can use the following CLI commands to identify problematic files:

find ${SPLUNK_HOME}/etc/apps/*/lookups -name *.csv -exec head -1 {} \; | tr ',' '\n' | sort| uniq -d

This will tell you the duplicated field, e.g. "foo".  Then take that and do this to find the file (or a small pile to peek through):

for FILE in $(find ${SPLUNK_HOME}/lookups -name *.csv -exec grep -il foo {} \;); do echo ${FILE}; head -1 ${FILE} | tr ',' '\n' | sort | uniq -d; done

Here are some other tips:

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming that your OS is unix/linux, assuming that your CSV files use standard filenaming conventions (i.e. *.csv), assuming that your CSV files are standard with a header on the first line, assuming that the source files still exist, you can use the following CLI commands to identify problematic files:

find ${SPLUNK_HOME}/etc/apps/*/lookups -name *.csv -exec head -1 {} \; | tr ',' '\n' | sort| uniq -d

This will tell you the duplicated field, e.g. "foo".  Then take that and do this to find the file (or a small pile to peek through):

for FILE in $(find ${SPLUNK_HOME}/lookups -name *.csv -exec grep -il foo {} \;); do echo ${FILE}; head -1 ${FILE} | tr ',' '\n' | sort | uniq -d; done

Here are some other tips:

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

So the first one command, every word it brings back is a duplicated one?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Exactly.

0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

Well see we are trying to find specific keywords, so I know like one I'm trying to test. When I run your second command, it pulls in a ton of CSV files. Checking one, and the word isn't in the CSV header at all?

0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

Oh I see it now, the word is in the CSV file itself. But I'm only concerned with the headers, is that not what the alert means?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes.  I updated my answer to help better.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...