Splunk Enterprise Security

seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha lookup not populating the priority in Identities

edhealea
Path Finder

We have the SecKit Windows Assets Add-on for Splunk Enterprise Security and the SecKit SA IDM Common install on our cloud instance with data populating in the seckit_idm_windows_identities_lookup but now I have filled the identity and nha_priority fields out in the seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha lookup but I am not getting any changes reflecting in the seckit_idm_windows_identities_lookup.
My identity fields and nha_priority fields look something like:
*.test medium
*.tech medium
*.admin critical
What am I missing here? Does the lookups used with this add-on only work on the initial ingestion of new data or should it update any changes during its normal refresh period?
.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jeremycarternfc
Engager

We've been working with SecKit for the last few weeks with our identities. There are a lot of moving parts but specifically for the identities portion, after you have populated your "seckit_idm_windows_activedirectory_persons_lookup" there is a saved search that runs a macro every four hours to merge the various lookups: "seckit_idm_windows_ad_identities".

For each different lookup under "SecKit_SA_idm_windows" that macro will look across the "seckit_idm_windows_activedirectory_persons_lookup" and match up the various fields (e.g. identity, account, memberOf, etc.).

For the "seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha lookup" it is going to search across the identities to attempt a match. However we found that the lookup definition didn't include "WILDCARD(identity)" even though the documentation says it should be a wildcard search. The "seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts_lookup" does (using the "account" field in the lookup and WILDCARD(account)) and seems to be a better fit when searching across multi-valued identities. Alternatively you could modify the definition of the nha lookup in transforms.conf to include the "match_type= WILDCARD(identity)" as well.

[seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha_default_lookup]
filename = seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha_default.csv
fields_list = identity,nha_category,nha_watchlist,nha_priority
case_sensitive_match = false

[seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts_lookup]
filename = seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts.csv
fields_list = account,account_category,account_priority,account_watchlist
match_type = WILDCARD(account)
case_sensitive_match = false

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jeremycarternfc
Engager

We've been working with SecKit for the last few weeks with our identities. There are a lot of moving parts but specifically for the identities portion, after you have populated your "seckit_idm_windows_activedirectory_persons_lookup" there is a saved search that runs a macro every four hours to merge the various lookups: "seckit_idm_windows_ad_identities".

For each different lookup under "SecKit_SA_idm_windows" that macro will look across the "seckit_idm_windows_activedirectory_persons_lookup" and match up the various fields (e.g. identity, account, memberOf, etc.).

For the "seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha lookup" it is going to search across the identities to attempt a match. However we found that the lookup definition didn't include "WILDCARD(identity)" even though the documentation says it should be a wildcard search. The "seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts_lookup" does (using the "account" field in the lookup and WILDCARD(account)) and seems to be a better fit when searching across multi-valued identities. Alternatively you could modify the definition of the nha lookup in transforms.conf to include the "match_type= WILDCARD(identity)" as well.

[seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha_default_lookup]
filename = seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha_default.csv
fields_list = identity,nha_category,nha_watchlist,nha_priority
case_sensitive_match = false

[seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts_lookup]
filename = seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts.csv
fields_list = account,account_category,account_priority,account_watchlist
match_type = WILDCARD(account)
case_sensitive_match = false

0 Karma

edhealea
Path Finder

Thanks Jeremy for your suggestion.
I switched over to seckit_idm_windows_identities_accounts and it worked with my *.ninja accounts.
I did find that adding would work in seckit_idm_windows_identities_nha

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

    Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...