Splunk Enterprise Security

connecting to license master from CLI

akazarov
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm installing a new splunk instance and need to connect it to our master license server. I used to do this from the web admin page, and learned that it is also possible to do from CLI like

splunk edit licenser-localslave -master_uri 'https://master:port'

now the question: can I do this before starting splunk first time? The aim is fully automatize the installation, so no manual intervention would be required. What I also have in mind is keeping this setting in server.conf which I feed to splunk after the (rpm) installation and before starting it, but I feel that using CLI is more proper way to do this. 

Thanks!

Andrei

Labels (2)
0 Karma

The_Simko
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Howdy. The CLI requires Splunk to be on.  
Your thought on server.conf is the better way to automate. Since you've seen the cli, just grab the server.conf line that was created and have your script write that out. That way, when you start Splunk, the license master is already set.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I believe Splunk must be running for the 'edit' command to work.
I usually do that by putting server.conf in an org_all_license_client app and deploying that app to the new instance.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...