Splunk Enterprise Security

add partial information from Cisco ISE logs to identities lookup

rashid47010
Communicator

I am seeing some interesting information from cisco Iogs. for example, user name, hostname name, mac address, location, connected switch port.

so
how can I add user information to identities lookup table.

furthermore how to preserve today login IP( the IP OR workstation name from where the user login) -
next day it will become yesterday data
and then compare it with today login as the stored data become yesterdays data.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @rashid47010,

To answer your first question : "how can I add user information to identities lookup table."
Since you are probably generating this identity lookup automatically based on a saved search them you need to craft a search that not only grabs data from your AD but also joins it to the ISE and enriches it with your required fields. All that then has to go through an outputlookupand build the identity lookup.
Note: Be careful about supported fields in identity lookup, not all fields are used by ES. Check out this link for the list of supported fields :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Identity_lookup_field...

As for your second question about maintaining a history of IPs, this is done naturally with the indexed data, you could always rely on your index to get your previous IPs. In case you need this in a lookup you also need to leverage the outputlookup combined with a saved search to have it run daily and build your "today" and "yesterday" list of IP used by your users.

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @rashid47010,

To answer your first question : "how can I add user information to identities lookup table."
Since you are probably generating this identity lookup automatically based on a saved search them you need to craft a search that not only grabs data from your AD but also joins it to the ISE and enriches it with your required fields. All that then has to go through an outputlookupand build the identity lookup.
Note: Be careful about supported fields in identity lookup, not all fields are used by ES. Check out this link for the list of supported fields :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Admin/Formatassetoridentitylist#Identity_lookup_field...

As for your second question about maintaining a history of IPs, this is done naturally with the indexed data, you could always rely on your index to get your previous IPs. In case you need this in a lookup you also need to leverage the outputlookup combined with a saved search to have it run daily and build your "today" and "yesterday" list of IP used by your users.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Few options are there. I assume when you say "add user information" means enriching user information like FirstName, LastName etc.?

The logic normally exists within the technology Addon (TA). You could add the enrichment directly into the TA (lookups) directory or better is to create an app of your own . eg (MY_custom_cisco_app) and create lookups within it. The lookups can be auto-generated from your active-directory or cmdb or could be manually listed.
Once you have the lookup, in new your new app, under transforms.conf add a LOOKUP-myuserenrich line to do lookup from the CISCO events to your lookup.
If you put the actual events, we can write the actual transforms.conf for you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...