Splunk Enterprise Security

Will an updated datetime.xml temporarily solve the Y2K timestamp issue?

Jarougeau

I have recently migrated to Splunk cloud and completed the necessary version upgrades to ensure we are compatible with the timestamp issue patching. However, I still have an on-prem instance of Splunk (that is still widely used by teams) that will be de-commissioned in the next few months (upon tying up loose ends with the cloud instance).

I am running version 6.6.3 on-prem. Rather than upgrade to a compatible version, can I simply update the version of datetime.xml and apply it to each on-prem Splunk server to solve the Y2K-timestamp issue?

Obviously, this would be a temporary solution - just long enough to allow me to complete the cloud migration and de-com the on-prem environment. Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

zacharychristen
Path Finder

Yes, you can just download or manually update the file yourself. This will require a reboot. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/ReleaseNotes/FixDatetimexml2020#Download_an_updat...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

zacharychristen
Path Finder

Yes, you can just download or manually update the file yourself. This will require a reboot. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/ReleaseNotes/FixDatetimexml2020#Download_an_updat...

0 Karma

Jarougeau

Thank you. I have multiple servers in my Splunk environment, i.e., search heads, license master, cluster master, etc., do I need to update the datetime.xml in each of them, or just one specific?

0 Karma

gdaly_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It requires a service restart not a reboot.

We will be releasing specific instruction videos on methods of the fix soon, including step-by-step instructions.

0 Karma

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @Jarougeau,

You can use the app solution in the release note to deploy the apps to distributed environments. Review the README file that comes with the app archive download for specific instructions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...