Splunk Enterprise Security

Why not getting Notables?

timsheets13
Loves-to-Learn

I'm new to ES.  I have taken the ES Admin course so I probably shouldn't have to ask for help but I'm pulling my hair out.

I have a linux host running sshd, no firewall.  This host has the universal forwarder sending events to the index cluster.

I have another linux host running a brute force attack against it.

Search in Splunk clearly shows the failed attempts, thousands of them.

In ES, I have enabled the "Brute Force Access Behavior Detected" correlation search, and added a Adaptive Response Action to create notable.

However, even though there are thousands of matching events, I never get a notable created.

SA_AccessProtection app is installed.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this, or what might be wrong greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@timsheets13 

Does the "notable" index exist?

0 Karma

timsheets13
Loves-to-Learn

Yes, once I installed the TA_ForIndexers the indexes where all created.

I can create manual notables no problems.  And if I create an alert in Splunk and make the alert action to create a notable, that works.

However, attempting to create a notable based on a correlative search in ES is not working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...