Splunk Enterprise Security

Why aren't my IDS logs populating the Intrusion Detection data model?

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I am using Splunk ES and trying to match my IDS logs to the Intrusion Detection data model. I thought I did all preparatory steps required but when clicking in the ES app Search > Datasets > Intrusion Detection > IDS Attacks > Summarize Fields nearly all the of the fields are listed as "null or empty" and the few that are populated contain "unknown" in them.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Created event type search to identify the logs and tag them as "ids" and "attack" per CIM docs (shared globally)
  2. Created field aliases (shared globally) as most of my existing logs are named something other than the expected datamodel field name

alt text
3. Validating the data per step 6A
4. End result mostly null or unknownalt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

The way to fix this is I had to rename the field aliases to the data model field name that's listed in the docs (go figure) rather than what was showing up in search (see below)
alt text

View solution in original post

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

The way to fix this is I had to rename the field aliases to the data model field name that's listed in the docs (go figure) rather than what was showing up in search (see below)
alt text

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...