Splunk Enterprise Security

Why are some tokens not expanding in incident review even though the fields are present in the notable event?

dflodstrom
Builder

Splunk Version 7.3.2, ES Version 5.3.1

Post-upgrade a couple of our notables are displaying tokens in the notable title rather than expanding to the values of those fields from the notable event; I can see these fields and their values when I search index=notable. I've re-created these rules manually and the issue exists in the new rules too. I've also tried running "notable | expandtoken field1 field2" and the tokens do not expand, I see $tokens$ in the Title and Description. I've seen this issue in the past when a token is misspelled and therefore the field doesn't exist, like $desst$.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Karma

dflodstrom
Builder

bump. no answers from the community or support.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

wow you still have the issue ? I thought you had it fixed 😞

What have you tried doing so far ?

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @dflodstrom,

Have a look here at the limitations :

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/6.0.0/Admin/Expandtoken

Could it be that you have an underscore or a delimiter in your token?

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

dflodstrom
Builder

The limitations listed in that doc do not apply to my case:
"The search command does not support token delimiters in the middle of a field name." and "If you have tokens dependent on the expansion of other tokens, those tokens might not be reliably expanded because you cannot specify the order in which tokens are expanded."

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

What happens if you rename the fields that are failing in the newly re-created rule ? Could be a long-shot, but could it be that the fields have special characters in them that somehow aren't supported anymore ?

dflodstrom
Builder

The field names themselves have no spaces or special characters; $signature$, $dest$ The values do sometimes have special characters, especially signature, but not always but the token expansion fails regardless of the values.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...