Splunk Enterprise Security

Why are notables not getting created?

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

The correlation I am analyzing has some interesting issue.
1. When I run the SPL code separately in a search bar it has 100s of events, but when I see the Incident Review , I see only a few(very few).
2.. The last line of the correlation search  is  "outputlookup somelookup.csv".     But I see the creator of this lookup hasn't created it's definition. 
could this be the reason why the notables are not getting created ???? 
Also when I see the stats of the correlation it it shows 

Statistics

Avg. Event Count 0 Avg. Result Count 0 Avg. Run Time 0:00:00 Invocations 0 Skipped 0 Success 0

Could anyone confirm if my suspicion is correct that the missing definition of the lookup is prohibiting the notables from being created with no evidence of skips, errors, or suppression in the logs.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, that is not it.  The problem is almost certainly that the value used for the timpicker does not consider the latency of the events until they become searchable in Splunk.  This latency is even larger if you are using accelerated datamodels.  You can calculate and examine the latency by doing "| eval latency = _index_time - _time".  This is why you almost always see timepicker values in good/working content that look like "earliest=@h-1h-15m latest=@-15m" instead of "earliest=-1h latest=now".

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, that is not it.  The problem is almost certainly that the value used for the timpicker does not consider the latency of the events until they become searchable in Splunk.  This latency is even larger if you are using accelerated datamodels.  You can calculate and examine the latency by doing "| eval latency = _index_time - _time".  This is why you almost always see timepicker values in good/working content that look like "earliest=@h-1h-15m latest=@-15m" instead of "earliest=-1h latest=now".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...