Splunk Enterprise Security

What is the best method of calculating variance, Extreme Search or just Stats?

joeldavideng
Path Finder

I currently have several behavioral anomaly searches that report users exhibiting authentication behavior that is X number of standard deviations above their mean or just in the 9Xth percentile based on a baseline period of behavior. After reading George Starcher's blog entries on the subject of Extreme Search I am considering implementing those searches using that app, but I am concerned that I am losing precision because I can't say for certain that "anomalous" means three standard deviations above the mean. I would like to hear about other users' experiences doing the same and whether you think the migration is worth the effort.

0 Karma
1 Solution

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Extreme search is "fuzzy". If you want precise traditional stats just do that.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Extreme search is "fuzzy". If you want precise traditional stats just do that.

0 Karma

joeldavideng
Path Finder

Straight from the horse's mouth. Thanks Starcher.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...