Splunk Enterprise Security

Variable substitution not working in correlation search?

tromero3
Path Finder

I have a correlation search for detecting when host stops sending logs. I enabled the search and set the title as below but when I receive the notables, my results show the hostname of the search head as the $host$ instead of the actual host who stopped sending logs. When I expand the notable, it does show the correct host under the "Additional Fields" section, just not in the title of the notable. The $Latest_Time$ doesn't work either, I'm not sure if it's possible to even use that or what I would have to put so it shows the Latest_Time / Last Time Reported field. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Title of correlation search:
"Host $host$ stopped sending logs since $Latest_Time$"

Query:
| metadata type=hosts index=*| where relative_time(now(), "-1d") > lastTime AND lastTime > relative_time(now(), "-90d") | convert ctime(lastTime) as Latest_Time | sort -lastTime | table host,Latest_Time | lookup asset_lookup_by_str nt_host AS host OUTPUTNEW priority AS priority,bunit AS bunit |rename Latest_Time AS "Last Time Reported"

0 Karma
1 Solution

tromero3
Path Finder

So it looks like the issue was that I needed to use $orig_host$ to get the original host from the actual events. $host$ was just getting the search head hostname (maybe due to the metadata command?).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

neerajs_81
Builder

@tromero3   I ran into the very same issue with $host$ not working . Pls advise how did you come up with $orig_host$ field ?

0 Karma

tromero3
Path Finder

So it looks like the issue was that I needed to use $orig_host$ to get the original host from the actual events. $host$ was just getting the search head hostname (maybe due to the metadata command?).

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure why $host$ is not working, but $Latest_Time$ doesn't work because there is no such field. It's renamed to $Last Time Reported$.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

tromero3
Path Finder

Okay I changed the $Latest_Time$ to $Last Time Reported$ and that part is now fixed. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...